Our Recent Posts

December 14, 2019

Please reload

Archive

Please reload

Tags

Please reload

TRICK OR TREAT..TRICKS FOR TREATS

Halloween is a day we all enjoy!  From costumes for us to costumes for our pets. I don't think I have to tell you the dangers of candy when it comes to your pets; however, let's take a look at some tips to keep your fur baby healthy and happy for Halloween. 

 

Here's what Pet Health Safety has to say about some of your favorite candy and why you should avoid giving candy to your pets.

 

Halloween is associated with spooky haunted houses, pet Halloween costumes (in the case of pet parents) and most of all, Halloween candy! Certain types of candy can be toxic and very dangerous to pets. Below are are five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs and cats.

 

1. Candy Corn & Other High Sugar Candy

 

Candies that are made with pure sugar can cause severe gas and diarrhea. The sugar not only provides a great source of food for gut bacteria to indulge on, it can also pull water into the colon and cause a bad case of diarrhea.

 

 

2. Chocolate Covered Raisins

 

These tasty treats combine two potentially deadly ingredients in dogs and cats. Chocolate is toxic to pets and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. Raisins (and other grape products) can cause severe kidney failure. The two of these combined is the ultimate toxic nightmare for pets. If your pet eats any chocolate covered raisins this Halloween, take them to your veterinarian immediately for treatment.

 

3. Candy with Wrappers

 

When dogs get into the candy bowl, they don’t usually bother to unwrap the treats first. Plastic and foil wrappers pose a health risk since they can cause an obstruction in the intestines and irritate the lining of the GI tract. Sometimes, pets can pass the wrappers without a problem, but it is best to keep all wrapped treats away from pets just in case.

 

4. Bite-size Hard Candy

 

Hard candy often has a delicious taste to dogs. These treats pose a major choking hazard for pets. Hard candy becomes slippery when mixed with saliva and it can be inhaled into the trachea (wind pipe), causing a choking hazard. Be sure to keep these candies away from dogs and cats.

 

5. Sugar-Free Gum

 

This type of gum may contain Xylitol, a sugar-substitute. Xylitol is perfectly safe in people, but it can be deadly if ingested by a dog or cat.

 

Xylitol causes a very severe drop in blood sugar that can happen within minutes after ingestion. Pets may become lethargic, unable to walk and start having seizures. If they survive the initial symptoms, they often will have severe liver damage and potentially fatal liver failure. This is the most dangerous type of Halloween candy for pets.

 

Keep your pet safe this Halloween by keeping all of your Halloween treats in a safe, secure place.

 

Happy Halloween from Lawrence Animal Hospital and the #Lahpets

 

 

Please reload

 

Contact

(404) 636-9444

©2019 by Lawrence Animal Hospital